We all care about how we look, which is why hair loss can be so devastating to our self-esteem. People see our faces, and our hair, first – it’s a key component of any first impression.
Here’s a rundown of flattering hairstyles for women with hair loss. Try any of these and boost your confidence and improve your appearance.
For overall thinning hair:
- Add volume by wearing it shoulder length, and use mouse and style products to give it volume and texture.
- Wear it long and wavy, using a cut with several lengths of layers and even a multidimensional color (ie, highlights and lowlights in several colors). Add even more volume to this style by using a sea salt spray. For this look, think mermaids and “beach hair“.
- Try the “ombre” dyed look with a darker top and lighter ends, to draw the eyes down rather than to the scalp. While one of my rules is to avoid bleach and dyes, I make an exception for the “ombre” look, as typically the bleach is only on the lower end of the hair and not near the scalp and follicles.
For receding hairlines:
- Add bangs. This will hide your receding or patchy hairline and make your entire face/forehead look smaller.
- Wear your hair up in messy ponytails and buns – this gives the illusion of more volume and hair on top of your head
- Short pixie cut – draws attention away from your hair loss in one specific place on the scalp; evens out the impact visually.
- HAIR BANDS – this creates a “new hairline” and disguises patchy areas close to your face.